We’ve now begun our Calibrated Weight Loss™ Programs as of August of 2023. Sign up for our explanatory email by entering your name and email address in the form at the top of our website homepage and you will receive complete and detailed information by email.
Losing weight is a praiseworthy goal for many people. Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the risk of heart attack and other serious medical conditions while making you feel more energetic and more agile and helping you enjoy your life to the fullest. However, embarking on a weight loss program can also be dangerous for your health if you do not take proper precautions. Before you jump start searching for weight loss programs, you should always consult with your doctor.
Why do you have to see a physician before starting to lose weight? Weight loss isn’t a medical problem, it’s something that people do every day, right? Some of the top reasons to see a doctor before starting a diet include:
- Losing too much weight too quickly or not getting the nutrition that your body needs are both problems that many dieters face which can do far more harm than good.
- Changes in your body weight can affect your body’s reaction to medication. Your doctor should be aware that you are trying to lose weight so that you can make any necessary changes to the dosage of prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
- Your doctor can help you rule out medical reasons for your weight gain, such as hypothyroidism and diabetes.
- Starting heavy exercise after you have been sedentary for a while can pose health challenges that your doctor can help you overcome.
- Your doctor can also advise you about which weight loss programs are safe and which you should avoid based on your specific circumstances. That’s something that no book or website can do.
Some people are reluctant to talk to their doctor about weight loss programs because they are embarrassed or because they feel they will be taking up their physician’s time for nothing. But remember that your doctor is there to help you manage every aspect of your physical health including your weight, and that taking this important step now can help you achieve your goals more effectively.